Wednesday 11 May 2011

Evening butterflies and slowworms

THERE'S a special place not too far from where I live which must remain secret, but which supports something very special and exciting - marsh fritillary butterflies.  These are dazzling little insects, with a wonderful chequered colouring.

The lack of grazing on this small site gives rise to long, lush grasses dominated by upright brome.  However the absence of such management is not great news for many of the limestone loving flower species which get choked out.  Only where the foot traffic is heavy are the grasses are kept in check; it still has a good population of commoner orchids, vetches and knapweeds etc..

Devil's-bit scabious is quite common here; the reason why this is significant is that this is the food plant of this butterfly's larval stage (i.e. when it is a caterpillar).  I knew that there was a colony of marsh fritillaries, but had not managed to see them before.  The individuals that I saw this evening (05/05/11) were fresh and bright, and I suspect have appeared quite early this year.

The coolness of the evening made the female adults much easier to approach and hence I even managed to get some to perch on my hand.






The tapering shape of their abdomens suggests that the individuals that I saw were all females.  This once locally common butterfly species has declined rapidly where it is dependant on fast disappearing wet grasslands which support devil's-bit scabious.  However it has managed to adapt to live on dry limestone or chalk grasslands where this larval food species also exists.  This colony is however very isolated, so is probably very vulnerable to extinction should the site be managed differently.

There were also a number of common blue butterflies chasing one another, or in the case of the couple below, simply resting for the night.



Recently I seem to be coming across a lot of reptiles.  I had already found small a slowworm under a piece of discarded chipboard.  I very nearly stood on this one (shown below) as I made my way back to the car; it was a case of just stopping my foot coming down on it at the last second.  Fortunately it remained  absolutely still whilst I lay down on the ground ("slowworm eye level") to take its picture...(note to self - must get a macro lens!).


Finally I went hunting for a little owl which I have seen in the local area, but to no avail.  However I did spot these two male pheasants having a "barny".

5 comments:

  1. What stunning butterfly images, and thankyou for the information, I am learning so much from your blog! I once found a pale bronze curved stick under my tool shed, and bent down to pick it up, and the slow worm wriggled off. I was a bit shocked with fright at the time, not knowing what it was, but have wanted to see another ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pheasants are a favourite with me and I am rather fond of slow worms too though have never yet founda real one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are always soooo good and interesting to look at. Try as I might I just can't get such lovely images of the wildlife around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Fritilary images Peter,I hope the colony will continue to grow,lovely pictures of the Blues also......a nice read thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your kind comments - its reassuring to know that people are interested "out there"...

    ReplyDelete

Have your say...